Julian specialises in evaluation and value for money. He works with public, non-profit and private sector organisations, helping them use evidence + values to make good decisions and achieve impact. His value for investment methodology has been used in a range of settings including healthcare, education, justice, transport, agriculture, philanthropy, social enterprise, and international development.
Julian has adjunct appointments at the University of Melbourne and Charles Darwin University. His previous positions include eight years managing the NZ practice of an Australasian health consulting firm, senior consultancy roles with KPMG, and policy positions with Health Canada, NZ Ministry of Health and Social Policy Agency. Julian is a former Board member and Treasurer of the Aotearoa New Zealand Evaluation Association (ANZEA) and a member of the American Evaluation Association.
Examples of Julian's work and writing
- King, J. (2016). Using Economic Methods Evaluatively. American Journal of Evaluation. April 29, 2016
- King, J., Dow, J., Stevenson, B. (2016). Measuring outcomes for TC clients: Higher Ground Drug Rehabilitation Trust. The International Journal of Therapeutic Communities. Vol 37 (3), pp.121-130.
- King, J., Guimaraes, L., Evaluating value for Money in international development: the Ligada female economic empowerment programme. Evaluation Matters, Third quarter, 2016. Africa Development Bank
- King J., & Panther G. (2014). Peer Support Themes. A Report prepared for AOD Collaborative Group. Auckland: Julian King & Associates Limited – a member of the Kinnect Group.
- Oakden, J., King, J., & Allen, W. (2014) Evaluation of the Sustainable Farming Fund: Executive Summary, prepared for Ministry for Primary Industries. Wellington, Kinnect Group.
- Oakden, J., King, J., & Allen, W. (2014). Evaluation of the Sustainable Farming Fund: Main Report, prepared for Ministry for Primary Industries. Wellington, Kinnect Group.
- Allen, W., King, J., & Oakden, J. (2014). Three case studies: companion document to the Evaluation of the Sustainable Farming Fund, prepared for Ministry for Primary Industries. Wellington, Kinnect Group.
- King, J., Pipi, K., Kennedy, V., Paipa, K. Akroyd, S., (2013). Evaluation of the Investment by Te Puni Kōkiri in the Māori Wardens Project 2007-2010. Report to Te Puni Kōkiri. Wellington, Te Puni Kōkiri
- King, J., Corter, A., Brewerton, R., Watts, I. (2012). Nurse Practitioners in Primary Care: Benefits for your Practice. Australian General Practice Network, Auckland: Julian King & Associated Limited; Kinnect Group.
- King, J., McKegg, K., Oakden & Wehipeihana, N. (2013). Evaluative Rubrics: a Method for Surfacing Values and Improving the Credibility of Evaluation, Journal of Multidisciplinary Evaluation, 9 (21), 11-20.